Wednesday, February 8, 2006

While I think of it...

Thinking about Mrs. DLO Farr reminds me of a story that made a lasting impression on me.
One of Mrs. DLO's good friends at Edwards was Mrs. Boyd Hooker. Both had been married, then widowed, and I believe neither had had children of their own. Mrs. Boyd entertained herself at home playing rousing hymns on her piano and crocheting. Around the age of 90--during our time at Edwards--Mrs. Boyd Hooker died. The visitation was at her home (the casket was there too). The church women had a bounty of great food.

At this visitation her nephew told this story. (The movie "Steel Magnolias" had just come out--I think.)
Lamar Hooker said that his aunt Boyd certainly was a steel magnolia. During one of Lamar's boyhood visits to his aunt--Boyd had bats in her attic. To be rid of them, she fixed a bucket of strong ammonia water--went up there while they were sleeping in the day--and pulled down those bats one by one and drowned them!

4 comments:

grey rose (they/them) said...

those missipp magnolias are hard core!

faith said...

wow. That made me laugh thinking about her drowning them. How odd.

Sue said...

You are one fascinating lady, Cindy-loo. I had a great time at lunch together today! Have a happy Friday!

faith said...

you all aren't naming my kids...