(See comments under 1st post)
HA!
It would have been hard to keep going without really knowing and liking the story from the movie and musical.--The book is better--Fleshes out the characters more, but has SO MUCH HISTORICAL BACKGROUND --French clergy--Waterloo--Church history of a certain order of nuns--Paris Sewers--Revolts, etc. etc. etc.(as the King of Siam would say)
and lengthy descriptions Waterloo--Convent life of above --Paris sewers--The distinction between an insurrection and an emeute (You'll have to read the book to find out!!!!)hahahahaha(some of these expansions are 40 or more pages long)
AND French stuff (whole phrases and songs)not translated--
which drove me crazy
but I was too lazy
to go get my FRENCH ENGLISH DICTIONARY and translate for 20 minutes every 2 pages.
Some of the french seemed superfluous like the Tom Bombadil songs in Lord of the Rings--but in some contexts I thought it might say something of what was in a characters heart--and thought--so it really peeved me alot. (DO I sound bitter?)
(I may get around to translating--maybe on the computer--
the last french
on the last page
--It probably is important :>)
Actually--I was glad I read it--it is a great story--and great discipline for my scattered brain.
I just reread this post and I think I just wrote a book report!
8 comments:
here! here!
(or is it Hear Hear?)--I have just heard it and never seen it written--I guess Hear Hear makes more sense--ha--hopping down the bunny trail...
I also would like to hear S. Harr's comments--I have a sense of Great Literature--for me--but my brain is too mushy and distracted to put thoughts together today--
Thanks for posting!!!
I don't know WHO gets to decide--
Wait-- which S. Harr are we talking about??? Actually--I think both should comment--both qualify:>)
I had written a comment for this days ago, but somehow it got deleted and I was just too upset to write another. I don't even remember what I said now.
As to the question posed: "What makes great literature?" I decided that I have neither the time or space to write about what I think about that. I think someday I'll have to write a whole blog about it and include all sorts of conspirousy theories. I agree that there are some "classics" that don't deserve the title and it is an interesting question worth considering and discussing. There's nothing quite like a good argument.
Mrs. Taylor, I encourage you to keep on keeping on reading Les Miserables.
Another question: Have any of you read "The Hunchback of Notre Dame?" I have read three books by Victor Hugo and that is definently my least favorite. The other book was Bug Jargle which was also depressing, and more melodramatic then Les Miz, even, but I liked it. The Hunchback of Notre Dame didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities, but I'd like to know what you think.
One thing I've always wondered about Les Miserables: I suppose it is excusable to include one lady with a beard in a book, but Victor Hugo writes about two. I just think that's weird. Maybe he had a bad experience with a lady with a beard when he was younger.
Oh my, I read that last comment and laughed out loud. Sarah, you bring a smile to my face. I think I will steal that and post it on my blog.
Well--I thought the movie with Charles Laughton about the Hunchback was good--but depressing--Redeeming qualities--I don't know--Its what is on hte inside that counts--Man looks on hte outside--God looks on hte heart.--but the book may be very different than the movie.
I am ashamed to say--I really don't remember ANY bearded lady in Les Miserables--I must have been asleep--hahaha.
Has anybody read Crime and punishment--? Also LONG and depressing--but I liked it.--Very strong commentary on Guilt and effects of sin on the conscience--and redemption of sorts.
Actually, I'm not positive so don't quote me (Faith) but I thought I remember Victor Hugo mentioning that Madm. Thenardier had a beard. (She was a pretty scary character.) And Marius' landlady, (the one that tries to follow him when he goes out dressed in his new suit three days in a row--) I remember Marius' friend making a joke about it and saying something like, "She wears a beard because Marius does not." or something like that. It seemed kind of random that you would include that fact in a book, and I wonder what makes a man think of things like that. I like to consider what the author was thinking when they add certain things.
p.s. isn't it weird about Gavroche and his two younger brothers? I need to read that part again where he takes them (is it inside an elephant statue?) with all those rats. I'm having a hard time remembering so there is only one solution... I must read it again! You've inspired me. Thanks.
which means she'll read the good parts to me. Woohoo. I like it when Sarah gets so excitd about a part and comes and reads it to me.
Post a Comment