Saturday, May 30, 2009

So--I'm thinking 65 quarts is enough--I am NOT going back--
the season is about done--harder to pick--my knees and back hurt more now--
more rotten ones--eeewww--
Then it hits me--ALL THOSE STRAWBERRIES that my DH paid for(to support my picking obsession) and all in freezer or given away--
and NO strawberry pie for DH! NOT ONE!
How could I?!!
For the 30 years we've been married--
when I say--
"I made a treat..."
he responds by saying..(EVERY TIME, MIND YOU--even in December)
"Shoney's Strawberry Pie?"
shoney's! whatever! (I have no idea how shoney's made their pie!)
So I went back this morning before the rains were coming. just to pick enough for a pie for dh. Picked 14 more quarts (that would be some pie) Finally pulled myself away cause I was dehydrated, wobbling around, and had to use the ladies' room)

Made 2 pies. Look at that RED!!! not a drop of food coloring--No strawberry jello--just berries, water, cornstarch and sugar.Those berries are something else. WOW. Get the whipped cream and let's have PIE!

5 comments:

faith said...

Man, I only picked 37 quarts this year. I only froze 5. Oh, and that strawberry pie was amazing!!!

linnea said...

HAHAHHHAHAHA!! Dad does ALWAYS say that!

You are CRAZY about picking your fruit! Man...I wish I was that determined some times!!

HoldMeClose said...

we DO appreciate how you shared the other strawberries with us though! I'm glad you got some for yourself this time though!

p.s. did you find anymore strawberry pants??? hahaha

Andy and Nancy said...

Would you believe that I haven't picked any this year! In fact I haven't actually picked for several years. When I was working full time and had reflux so bad, I started buying already picked ones. I put up so much jam last year that we don't need any this year. I bought two quarts for Andy and I to eat but was scared to get more because I knew I'd make a pie and we'd EAT it!!!! I did have a piece of my mom's though and your's looks beautiful!!!!

grey rose (they/them) said...

wow. i turned out EXACTLY like dad. repeating things...

the strawberry pie was FANTASTICAL!
patrick and i LOVED it thanks for sharing!!
p.s...best pie you have ever made. period. super jealous of your always perfect crust!!

LOVE you!