Friday, April 21, 2006

? for Laura and Ashley

I have noticed in your pictures--and with other mothers to be--a trend these days---

so I have a question--

Does any young pregnant woman wear "maternity" clothes any more?

I have noticed very little in the stores and the "famous" people in the news don't seem to wear them either. (oops--except for maternity evening gowns at the RED Carpet affairs)
When I was young and poor----It was a treat to have someone give you a maternity top or dress--so you'd have something to wear.
No point to my asking -- just curious.

Some of them were ridiculous looking --very poofy--and todays clothes are so roomy and stretchy--so I can see the point of just ditching them altogether.

15 comments:

JLW said...

Ha! Aunt Cindy, you are hilarious. I actually don't know too many people who don't wear maternity clothes while pregnant...But most people I know are much taller than I am. If you are short and small, there is almost NO possibility of maternity clothes fitting you, with the exception of Gap Maternity or Old Navy which SOMETIMES come in XXS. So, there is why I still prefer my regular clothes over maternity, plus that way I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe that would only be useful for 9 months.

JLW said...

P.S. About the "Famous" people. I read that they have Maternity Designers who help them dress. I also read that the maternity jeans that some of them are wearing are costing $350 + dollars. YIKES!

Laura said...

All my pants are maternity now - I think they just make stuff to look like its not maternity. Target has really comfy stretchy stuff that doesn't look all balloony - but I have DEFINITELY seen the "maternity styles" that look like floral tents - HA! It is nice not to be teaching this time so I don't have to dress up. Did I tell you when we moved up here we accidentally sent all my maternity clothes to Goodwill? UGH!!!

Cindy said...

ha--y'all are pretty funny:)

Sue said...

Personally, I would like to see a FEW more "puffy," or at least a little more roomy on SOME people who are pregnant in the news. Has modesty just flown away forever? Yes, in "our" day it was a bit overdone, but tight to the max is going to far the other way. It is everywhere, tho, look at the current trend to accentuate, rather that hide, that tube just above the pants, looks like they're wearing an inner tube under the shirt stretched to breaking point....ugh. I guess I am just old.

Sue said...

Man, I need an editor. I meant "too" and I meant everywhere meaning those who are not pregnant who don't hide the bulge... are those bulges attractive? and I meant than, not that. Oh brother.

Sue said...

Oh, and one more thing. Some of us TRY and hide the bulge and are not successful, meaning me, so as not to sound judgmental. Some, though, do wear their pants two sizes too small, squeezing the bulge upward. Oh, man, I have to shut up; it really sounds like I have bulge issues....forget it.

Cindy said...

oh dear--yes, some of the new fashions are unflattering--even to trim young girl's

As my mother often said--(I'm not sure where the quote originated)

"O the gift that God would give us--
to see ourselves as others see us."

linnea said...

I'll just go in the nude when I'm pregnant!!

Breathes easy, and is comfortable too!

:-)

linnea said...

(or maybe just a toga)

Cindy said...

I am laughing hilariously at these last 3 comments--

I did not see the article.
good-grief!

and Linnea--I think we would all be happier with the toga!

linnea said...

yea, I don't want to intimidate anyone.

linnea said...

I'll at least wear clothes at Church

faith said...

Thank you linnea. I will appreciate that. Maybe at thanksgiving and christmas you might be able to wear clothes too. :)

Sarah said...

these are some very amusing comments.