As I was writing the last post--I had a sudden inclination to write about my mother, Jeanne. Saturday was the 20th anniversary(Is that what you call it?) of her death. She was 61--I was 28. Is it because of the nice round number of 20 that my mind seems to think of her more--and my heart to miss her--after such a long time? Is it because so much transition is bubbling in our home that I would like her to be here--her memory added to mine--"How did you..? What was...? Did I... ?"She was born in 1924--into a somewhat poor family--the 4th of 5 children. This is the only childhood picture I have of my mom. She is 3 here.--It would be another year before the youngest, Gladys, would make her appearance.

At 17.
My mother worked full time and lived with her mom, helping to pay the bills --and then married my dad when she was 29.
My mother and me--1957. She was a great cook, a seamstress, an organized housekeeper--and worked full-time outside our home for most of my life. I rarely saw her messy--she wore stockings and a dress on picnics!

This is the closest to my age that I can find a picture--1971--my mom would have been 47--I am 48. I remember she was always so much older than most of my friend's moms--but she looked so young--and she was very smart.
also--this was the year my parents divorced.
This must have been late 1983--2 years before she died. She moved to Mississippi with us in 1981 and eventually lived with us for about 2 years.
She was a cheerful, positive woman--and a great help to me as a young mother. And a loving grandma, too.
Now that my children are just about all in adulthood--I have a greater appreciation for her encouragement. Was it hard for her to keep her opinions to herself? Did she wince as I fumbled along in my parenting, etc?
I've had 20 years without her and I want to tell anyone who reads this--to those who never knew her--I just want to say--The Lord blessed me with such a good mom--and I probably didn't tell her that often enough.

7 comments:
what an interesting post. Thanks for sharing.
sure do miss her
Aunt Cindy!!! I see Haley's face all over "Grandmama's" - that picture at the top looks just like one of her favorite expressions!
Thanks for posting this! You are a super writer! I can really relate to what you are saying. My dad has been gone 14 years (NOV. 23), died 4 weeks before Luke was born. My mom is drifting away as the months go by and has not really been herself for many years, as you know. I would love to discuss things on a real level with her, but it is not to be. Tim's mom passed away at 65 the first year we were married. She was like my second mom; I would love to have HER input!An aside: I personally think their generation look(s)(ed) older at our age (40's) than we do, but maybe I am just fooling myself? My mom was always neat and in good clothes and dresses (many of which she made, as well as making my clothes, too, when young). A different era. Anyway, please keep on posting--I love reading your entries!
laura, so it does!
Sue--
I have a theory on the age business--wrinkle wise I don't think they looked older, but style wise--yes--I think mostly it is the "hair" and makeup style--we just don't do that--but if you will look--many ladies in their 70's or older with "Old ladies hair"--really have the a version of the style they had 30 years ago--but gray--and when I was a girl--alot of grandmas still wore buns.--I don't know--and we have all this fitness stuff and accessible lotions and stuff--well, I am rambling:)
I just wanted to tell you that was a beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes.
Post a Comment