This is for those who read the handy dandy site. Right after Thanksgiving--I developed a case of Shingles---and found out that Shingles is actually an outbreak of the chicken pox virus that I had when I was very small over 40 years ago. This virus sometimes hides out in the spinal cord or brain and then makes a comeback--with a slightly different MO than the chicken pox.--Shingles is not contagious--AS SHINGLES--
but it can spread as CHICKEN POX to those who have never had it.
The good mother that I am--I couldn't remember if Linnea had had the pox when my older 3 had it or not. I was not feeling well and very busy with our Christmas Open House--so I didn't push Linnea to go get the shot (that could have saved her:) And being the "chicken" that she is (pun intended--sorry) she didn't push me to take her to get the shot.
Well, it is about 2 or 3 weeks later--and the chicken pox has struck her down--at a most tragic time of year to be struck.
It has a poignant side to it though--
Just think--The very same virus germ that I had as a wee tot--waited patiently--and is now infecting my own child about 44 years later--which is why Linnea said it was like a family heirloom that maybe one day she could pass on to her children. But alas --the virus may have struck its last blow--as there is now a vaccination you can get.
Now--I have a question that I have not researched yet--
The Aveeno bath for the pox says it is "Colloidal" oatmeal?
Does anyone know what colloidal means--and how is that different from regular oatmeal?
2 comments:
YAY for a new post. :) You made me curious and I had to read about colloidal oatmeal and see what the differences were.
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10107,00.html
This is an interesting article.
"To produce colloidal oatmeal, the oats themselves are very finely ground--pulverized, in fact. This enables the grain to readily absorb liquid. When the colloidal oatmeal is added to bath water, it almost instantly gives a slightly milky, almost slimy consistency to the water--which then coats the skin, moisturizing, softening, and protecting it. The emollient, or skin-softening, properties of oat products come from ingredients in the oatmeal such as cellulose and fiber."
whoa.
there are typeS of oatmeal?
Post a Comment